Thursday, September 23, 2010

Jairus and the Woman who Interfered

Last night in the small group I was leading we studied the story of Jairus and the woman who "interfered" with Jesus coming to heal Jairus' little girl (Mark 5:21-43).

I put "interfered" in quotations because it had never before occurred to me that that may be exactly what an anxious father might have thought in that situation. "Why are you doing this? Why now? My daughter is dying and we need to get there!"

I've had to take my daughter to the hospital and know what it is to have a very sick child, one sick enough that I couldn't do anything to help her. I also know the frustration of having to wait at admissions to get her checked in when she's fighting for a breath.

I wonder what Jairus thought as he waited on Jesus to finish with the woman who had delayed the Lord. I wonder if he thought the chance to heal his daughter was passing by, perhaps the same way Martha felt about Jesus delaying to come to help her brother Lazarus' (John 11).

I wonder if Jairus worried that Jesus might use up all his miracle working power on this woman and not be able to help the little girl. I wonder if he rejoiced in the Lord's mercy on the woman who had suffered for 12 years. Or was he too focused on his own situation?

As I began to think about these things last night, I realized that rather than find anxiety in the delay, Jairus, the desperate father should have found hope and encouragement, even as he waited. After all, he witnessed the healing of a woman who had suffered terribly for 12 long, painful years. I hope Jairus said, "If he can do that for her, imagine what he can do for my daughter."

I've been really encouraged lately as I've met some men whom Jesus has worked the "impossible" in their lives. And their testimonies encourage me to be hopeful in the way I hope Jairus was hopeful.

No comments: