Friday, May 13, 2011

We're Not Raising Grass!

Famed Minnesota Twins slugger Harmon Killebrew has decided to end his battle against esophageal cancer and enter Hospice care.

As a kid, I had the opportunity to see Killebrew and the Twins play against the Texas Rangers at (the old) Arlington Stadium more than once. And, while I don't remember a specific occasion of seeing him play, I do remember something that I heard said about him.

He is quoted as saying: "My father used to play with my brother and me in the yard. Mother would come out and say, 'You're tearing up the grass'; 'We're not raising grass,' dad would reply. 'We're raising boys.'"

I've always thought that was one of neatest things a father could say, and locked it in my memory bank in case I ever needed to use it. Now, that I have a boy, I just might get to use it.

No comments: