Monday, August 06, 2007

Feedback

She approached me just before the service started and said, "I want to give you some feedback from what you said last week. It's good to get feedback." At that moment, I had that funny feeling in my stomach that said, "Oh boy, what did I say that needs to be corrected? And why now?" As everything went into slow motion, my mind worked overtime trying to figure out what I said that might have been controversial or problematic. I couldn't think of anything.

Those who have been in ministry for any length of time, have probably had the same type of negative experience. You know, the kind where a person feels obligated to approach you and tell you that you didn't say something well, or that they disagree with what you said. That's what "feedback" usually means. And, this almost always occurs just moments before the service is supposed to start, or when you are in the middle of something that needs your undivided attention.

"Something you said last week has stuck with me all week. I was really challenged when you told us that we need to be conscientious of how we speak to God and others. I really needed that reminder. Thanks."

In a rare use of the word "feedback," she wanted to compliment and thank me for something I said the week before. Some days you just need that type of feedback.

Psalm 19:14 - "Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer." (ESV)

No comments: