Saturday, February 07, 2009

Little Foxes

Catch us the foxes,
the little foxes
that ruin the vineyards,
our vineyards that are in bloom.
Song of Songs 2:15

Our family decided to get out today and do some exploring. Grace got her camera, I got mine, and Colleen got the water bottle, and we were off to see what we could find. I wasn't completely surprised to see this fox because I had seen him twice before, but never with a chance to get a shot like this.


Actually, I outfoxed him. I was up on a ridge about 40 feet above and 150 feet away from him when I unexpectedly roused him. He jumped up and went around the bend below the ridge I was on to hide from my view. But I thought that I might be able to surprise him by running across the top of the ridge to a point where I estimated he might appear. I was right, and he seemed quite surprised to see me.

I raised my camera and caught his attention. He froze long enough for us to make eye contact and for me to snap this shot from about 40 yards; then he was off to the races.


He ran much faster than I had anticipated, which made tracking him a challenge. The shot isn't real sharp, but from 100 yds, I'm pretty happy with the outcome. You can see he is fully committed to his exit strategy.


At this point, he's about 130 yds away and flying. I was shocked at how fast and far he would run to avoid the paparazzi.

2 comments:

Todd Bolen said...

Good times! Wish I was there.

Craig Dunning said...

You would have enjoyed this particular event.

I found some porcupine quills in the same area, so now I'm in search of the Indian Crested Porcupine. Could be up to 20 kilos, but I think mine is more in the neighborhood of 5 kilos.