Thursday, February 12, 2009

The Short Answer: NO!

As far as Sennacherib could tell, Hezekiah was trusting in one of two things: Military help from Egypt (2 Kings 18:21) or divine intervention from the LORD (vs 22).

In my last post, I mentioned the word picture that Sennacherib correctly used regarding Egypt. In this post, I want to briefly explore Sennacherib's second assertion, which is a classic illustration of someone reading their own suppositions into another's position.

Sennacherib is trying to warn Hezekiah about the danger of trusting in anyone else even the LORD, but he gets it all wrong: "...isn't he the one whose high places and altars Hezekiah removed..."

Well, the short answer is: NO! The LORD isn't the one whose high places were removed by Hezekiah. In fact, Hezekiah's removal of the high places pleased the LORD, and it was said removal of high places that clearly demonstrated in whom Hezekiah trusted.

I wonder if Hezekiah was emboldened by Sennacherib's confusion and thought to himself, "He has no idea. As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."

No comments: